New Look Website

Be on the lookout here for special announcements!

Moderators: siberianlady, Tanya, Barry Hannigan, mandzipop

mandzipop
Site Admin

New Look Website

Postby mandzipop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 pm

As everyone can probably tell, the website looks slightly different. Yes we finally got it updated. :D

As you can probably appreciate, it is rare that a new website is launched and there are no hiccups. FOFA is no exception and yes a couple of minor issues have come to our attention. We are getting these put right and soon it should be much easier to use with more content.

So please bear with us, we are working on the issues and it will prove to be a massive improvement.

So what do you think to the new look?
Dung beetles are quite cute

siberianlady
Site Admin

Re: New Look Website

Postby siberianlady » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Also if you have any comments or beefs then post it here so we can deal with it if at all possible! :D
Keep Racing!

undersquare

Postby undersquare » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am

Let me offer a view from the outside.

There's nothing on the site to reward a visit, at the moment. The layout is unhelpful and unattractive, with too much static information and no life to it. The forum has half a dozen posters, it's not enough, and the site isn't going to attract many more. The news is old and brief. There are dozens of general F1 fan/news sites that will always outdo you, you're going to wear yourselves out in a lost cause.

If there are problems with site access IMO you should just register fofassociation.org and start again with a redirect from ~.com. Make it The Voice Of The Fans and don't try to be anything else. Avoid going head to head with competitors. Use your contacts in FOM, FOTA and FIA to be unique, the gateway to change. People love to be heard, and that should be you. Surveys, reports, feedback.

Just my 2c. :) . You're good guys, I've run businesses for a long time, dealt with some big businesses and seen how to do it and found out painfully how not to. Be unique. Do one thing, well.

I do think the idea of FOFA is great, the 4th F in F1 - FIA FOM FOTA FOFA - so I really hope you can pull it off 8-) .

Tanya
Site Admin

Postby Tanya » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 am

@ Undersquare, thanks for your input. As we get closer to the beginning of the season, FOFA is making the final preparations to finally have the fans speak out. For the homepage, for us it is a huge improvement and we are continuing to come up with more ideas to make it better.

We all believe FOFA will succeed.
Team: It Is Amazing How Much You Can Accomplish, When It Doesn't Matter Who Gets the Credit!

undersquare

Postby undersquare » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am

Tanya wrote:@ Undersquare, thanks for your input. As we get closer to the beginning of the season, FOFA is making the final preparations to finally have the fans speak out. For the homepage, for us it is a huge improvement and we are continuing to come up with more ideas to make it better.

We all believe FOFA will succeed.

Yeah sorry Tanya that probably reads a bit negative. I just wouldn't want to see you going head to head with news sites like F1Fanatic, is all :) . Just as an illustration, here's a screenshot of Keith's site alongside yours today:

On his home page there are over 50 links, a dozen pics and graphics, and up-to-date news. It's colourful, happening, and full of what people want to know each day. Then there's lots more inside. On yours atm (early days I know) there's ONE area of news and that's yesterday's, stuff every single visitor knows already. No photos, grey, more than half the screen is the same every day and doesn't change.

And F1Fanatic is just one of dozens of course, PlanetF1, F1Live and all the others and you will never match them at the F1 news game.

So my suggestion is not to do news at all, it inevitably gets you off to a bad start when visitors arrive. I would get straight on with your own special thing of being a conduit to the right ears at the top of the sport/circuits, and orient the forum that way as well.

Looking forward to what you're gonna do :)

mandzipop
Site Admin

Postby mandzipop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 am

@undersquare

We are looking at what you have said. It is not going un-noticed.

What we can do about it is yet to be discussed as myself and Siberianlady have only just gotten back from Barcelona. It is being taken onboard becuase we need to know this. This is the type of stuff we need to hear. Patting ourselves on the back and saying the site looks wonderful is not enough, other people have to use it too. If people dont think it is user-friendly, then we really need to know.

Would have replied earlier, but we couldn't get the Wi-Fi to work and once we did work it out, the service provider was down. Typical!

One of the comments you made was about the news section. We need to do this, but once certain issues have been resolved with the website, it will become clearer why we need to post the relevant sections of news, kindly provided to us via the teams.
Dung beetles are quite cute

siberianlady
Site Admin

Postby siberianlady » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Undersquare
we talked about your feedback also when we were in Barcelona this last weekend for the testing and no we don't see it as negative at all. In fact we need input and it is very much appreciated and taken on board.
We know we have a lot to do still and things aren't perfect by any means.
So please keep the ideas coming as they will help us to achieve what we want to in the long term!
PS- totally agree with what Mandzipop says.
Keep Racing!

Anthony_Ferrari

Postby Anthony_Ferrari » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:14 pm

I agree with most of what undersquare says. There are plenty of good F1 News sites. We don't need another and maintaining it will surely be a chore? If this is the Formula One Fans Association then I would imagine that stories about ordinary people meeting F1 teams would be news, but the Bahrain GP being cancelled/postponed isn't. I'd expect to see news stories in the run up to a race about drivers are making public appearances. FOFA should be liaising with the teams so fans can submit questions to the drivers or team personnel. I'd like to see interviews with people in F1. Not necessarily the drivers and team principles, what about the catering staff, the marshalls, the litter-pickers, the camp-site managers, the police, the ticket touts, the residents who live near the track, the journalists, photographers, and the website owners.
For this to work you need traffic to the site. Is there any way you can get sponsorship so that you can run competitions and the other F1 sites might link to you. They are unlikely to want to do that if they see you as competition offering the same news as them.

Another couple of comments I would make are that I can't see an easy way to get to http://www.fofassociation.com/ from the Forum? Shouldn't the FOFA logo at the top of the screen link to the homepage, rather than the Board Index? Lastly, I have just realise that the little tyres on the home screen have writing on that I think is the names of the teams. It's very small!

I realise it's very easy to be an armchair critic. I have huge admiration for what you've achieved so far. I would love this venture to succeed and I may well be completely wrong with my suggestions.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Tanya
Site Admin

Postby Tanya » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm

I do thank everyone for their comments/suggestions. :)
Team: It Is Amazing How Much You Can Accomplish, When It Doesn't Matter Who Gets the Credit!

undersquare

Postby undersquare » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 pm

mandzipop wrote:@undersquare

We are looking at what you have said. It is not going un-noticed.

What we can do about it is yet to be discussed as myself and Siberianlady have only just gotten back from Barcelona. It is being taken onboard becuase we need to know this. This is the type of stuff we need to hear. Patting ourselves on the back and saying the site looks wonderful is not enough, other people have to use it too. If people dont think it is user-friendly, then we really need to know.

Would have replied earlier, but we couldn't get the Wi-Fi to work and once we did work it out, the service provider was down. Typical!

One of the comments you made was about the news section. We need to do this, but once certain issues have been resolved with the website, it will become clearer why we need to post the relevant sections of news, kindly provided to us via the teams.

Just wondering, do you guys have access to the website stats? If so, they should tell you which sites your visitors linked from, and that can be a good perspective to have. If you don't have the stats, or maybe you think it's all going to change in the future anyway, I'd think you could assume that since your visitors are by definition 'fans', they've come from one (or more) of the establish F1 sites like Autostport, BBC, BadgerGp and so on.

Then starting from there, you have an idea what they know already, and what extra thing/s they might be hoping for when they land on your home page.

In my mind that makes calling anything 'news' a bit of a risk. It seems to me the news sites represent a lot :shock: of sustained work. So possibly some other description might be worth thinking about. Just at the moment the "Latest News" section only has to be a day out of date, or a few hours even, to send the wrong message about how in tune you are with your visitors.

Another random thought is that there are benefits to not competing with the news sites - then you can legitimately go onto their forums to advertise yourselves and ask for volunteers, survey respondents and so on. And do press releases that those sites might publish.

Return to “Announcements”