Bahrain: The neverending story.

Discuss all the latest F1 news including the Grand Prix's.

Moderators: siberianlady, Tanya, Barry Hannigan, mandzipop

Tanya
Site Admin

Bahrain: The neverending story.

Postby Tanya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 pm

The violence continues at Bahrain leaving many to wonder if this GP will go on as scheduled or will it be called off on the last minute. Bernie said as long as they want F1, they'll be there, but protesters made it very clear that if F1 arrives in Bahrain, they will protest.
Team: It Is Amazing How Much You Can Accomplish, When It Doesn't Matter Who Gets the Credit!

Tufty
Site Admin

Re: Bahrain: The neverending story.

Postby Tufty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Then we shouldn't be there. F1 is a sport. If Bernie doesn't want it being used to highlight Bahrain's political problems by avoiding the country, then it shouldn't be used for the same purpose for being there, which it will if the weekend goes ahead.

For the record, I hold the same view for both GP2 weekends, which has [almost] nothing to do with the fact that my Sky laptop will likely be in for repairs at least over the first of the two back-to-back weekends there.
The weak get weaker & the strong get stronger
& the years get shorter but the days get longer
& the world gets drier but the faces get wetter
& there's nothing we can do to ever make it get better

Tanya
Site Admin

Postby Tanya » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:01 am

The FIA has released a statement confirming the Grand Prix will go on as scheduled. I have a bad feeling about this. If things are bad now, just imagine how it will be once the F1 circus arrives.
Team: It Is Amazing How Much You Can Accomplish, When It Doesn't Matter Who Gets the Credit!

Tufty
Site Admin

Postby Tufty » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 am

In some ways I want it to kick off, so the FIA learns how stupid it's been. That said, I fear for the protesters' lives if they do so.

Tanya
Site Admin

Postby Tanya » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:54 pm

I fear for everyone's safety.

Interesting note: Bernie was asked by a female journalist if he will be at Bahrain and from what I heard, he gave her a mean look (almost as if he wanted to slap her) and said "That's a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer". And according to him, the teams are excited to travel to Bahrain (if anyone believes that, then you will also believe the clouds are made of cotton candy).

On Facebook, I talk to a man named Trent Price and he wrote an interesting article regarding the situation and it's a good read.
http://richlandf1.com/?p=968

Tufty
Site Admin

Postby Tufty » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 pm

*Chews cloud thoughtfully*

Tanya
Site Admin

Postby Tanya » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Well, I've read an employee from Williams quit her job based on moral grounds regarding Bahrain and as much as Bernie can say everyone is thrilled with going to Bahrain, according to F1 journalists who were in Shanghai tell a different story. They report people are concerned and nervous.

One reporter is already in Bahrain and says so far, everything is fine, but the people there claim that all hell is scheduled to break loose beginning Friday.

Tanya
Site Admin

Postby Tanya » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I've also made a personal decision to not watch the GP this weekend. It doesn't feel right at all. I do hope that everything goes smoothly, but for now, I don't think that will be the case.

Tufty
Site Admin

Postby Tufty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Joking aside, I would join you in that gesture if I wasn't writing the review.

As I said last year, I'll happily make the article particularly in-depth this weekend for all those who don't wish to watch the race.

siberianlady
Site Admin

Postby siberianlady » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 pm

I am just glad nothing more sinister happened and pray for the safety and wellbeing of the GP2 teams who are still there for the racing this weekend.
Our Sky team did not travel to Bahrain.
I lived there for 3 years and can only say that as a woman I will never go there again of my own free will.
Keep Racing!

Return to “Formula One”